Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Artemis Club

Mythic Yoga: The Artemis Club and Mermaids by Sydney Solis
I pulled Paloma down the hill on her skateboard as she walked Pepe on a leash toward Bear Creek Elementary. I had been thinking how wonderful this age of eight and a half that my daughter is. I feel so much more closer to her, as we relate to feminine things like clothes and grooming. Alejandro will go to the rifle club and he is off with his friend and his father. He needs that. And Paloma needs me.

I feel this joy in working with this young feminine. La Sirena appeared in Parabola magazine this quarter. Water so fitting, the divine feminine, half fish, half bird, half woman, half snake, from those watery, imaginative depths of creation. So continues Mythic Yoga, as we groom young girls to be sacred warriors who grow into their sex and power. To have the chains of modern woman's soul broken from the bonds of a contorted cultural view of woman to that of one of wholeness and life.

The mermaid, or rusalki in the Russian and Ukranian tradition, was the spiritual world of women and the bringer of the new life. Every spring they came in water to clean out the heaviness of winter. She is the primal goddess, in which as water all life, cleansing and restoration comes from. She is the whole body of creation yet balanced as the opposite of death and extinguishment, a perfect paradox.

Artemis was the goddess of children from age nine until adulthood. She protected the young girls and brought them to her temple to experience one last time the joys of childhood before growing up and assuming responsibilities in adulthood and marriage.

My daughter and I ran with Pepe once we reached the field. Running - a perfect meditation on the body. My mind dips in every cell in the body with all its twitches and kinks and stuck energy I root it out with my breath and attention.

I watched her as the did the athletic course, and thought of this modern Artemis Club for girls. To really nourish my daughter and regenerate the feminine on the planet. Making little mermaids in the Artemis Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment